Trained in the 1880s at the couture house Raudnitz, Chéruit was a Parisian designer who, like Lelong and Louise Boulanger, transformed high fashion into the reality of ready-to-wear. She refined the excessiveness of couture for her aristocratic Parisian clientele, who favoured her richly ornamented dresses. Fascinated by the effect of light on fabric, she worked with taffeta, lamé and gauze. With Chanel’s move towards simple fashions in the 1920s, her opulent taste lost appeal.
She retired in 1923, but her design house continued until 1935 when Schiaparelli famously took over her premises, at 21, Place Vendôme.
The house reopened in 2008, back at 21, Place Vendôme.